3 T butter
4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 celery ribs, diced
4 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chunked
2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced (not in the original recipe, I like a chunkier soup in winter)
4 c chicken stock (less if you want a thicker soup)
1 c white wine
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1 lb fresh spinach leaves
1 c half and half
1 c feta, crumbled (reserve a bit for garnish)
1/4 c pine nuts, toasted (reserve some for garnish)
Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and celery and saute until clear and just starting to turn golden. Add chunked potatoes and saute an additional 5 minutes. Add stock and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are soft and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the nutmeg and spinach and stir the soup until the spinach wilts. Remove from heat and using a hand blender* or regular blender puree the soup until smooth.
- Stir in the diced potatoes, half and half, feta, pine nuts, Worcestershire and salt and pepper.
- Return the pot to the stove and simmer an additional 5-7 minutes. Long enough for the diced potatoes to cook.
- Garnish each serving with reserved feta and pine nuts.