2 cups organic white flour
1 cup organic whole wheat flour
3/4 t salt
1T olive oil
1 cup water
1/2 cup Italian sausage
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups fresh spinach
dried pizza seasoning (I use Penzeys brand)
1 cup fresh ricotta
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- Place flours and salt in the bowl of a food processor and whirl to mix. While running, add the olive oil and water. The amount of water varies so pour it in carefully, you want the flour to form a ball that isn't too sticky. Leave the dough in the bowl of your processor to rise.
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet. Remove to a bowl. Pour some olive oil to your pan and add the onion. Cook until golden. Add the garlic and cook and additional minute. Remove to bowl.
- Add the fresh spinach and saute until wilted. Add to the bowl.
- Mix the sausage, onions, garlic and spinach to combine. Add your seasoning, ricotta and Parmesan and combine.
- After the dough has risen (about an hour), whirl the processor to deflate. Pull it out and divide into 6 portions. Roll each portion out into about a 8 inch round. I covered each piece with a bit of tomato sauce and then put about 1/2 cup of the filling onto the rounds. Fold over and seal the sides using either a fork or by twisting the dough together.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until brown.