Sunday, January 27, 2013

Cheese Crackers

It's been a while since I made J some cheese crackers and since our cracker container was getting a little sad and lonely, I made Smitten Kitchen's Whole Wheat Goldfish Crackers. These are fantastic little cheese bites that come together SUPER easy. You can use any hard cheeses you have around (today was Colby) and I skip the onion powder in the original recipe as it doesn't really add much.



Ingredients:

6 ounces (1 1/2 cups coarsely grated) sharp cheese (cheddar, Colby, Parmesan)
4 tablespoons (2 ounces or 57 grams) butter
1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces or 62 grams) whole wheat flour
1/4 cup (1 1/8 ounces or 31 grams) all-purpose flour
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon table salt

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients in a food processor, running the machine until the dough forms a ball, about two minutes.
  • If the dough feels warm or worrisome-ly soft, wrap it in waxed paper or plastic wrap and chill it in the fridge for 30 to 45 minutes. This also makes it easier to transfer shapes once they are rolled out.
  • On a Silpat or lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out 1/8-inch thick. Form shapes with a cookie cutter or pizza/ravioli cutter), dipping it in flour from time to time to ensure a clean cut. Gently transfer crackers to an ungreased (though I use the Silpat) cookie sheet with a 1/2 inch between them. Bake the crackers on the middle rack for 12 to 15 minutes, or until they are barely browned at the edges. Remove from the oven and set the cookie sheet on a rack to cool.

2 comments:

  1. Came here from Karolina's post---I will have to try these. I laughed at the part of the recipe that says to refrigerate the dough if it gets too warm or soft.
    I had the same happen to my graham cracker dough, so of course I put it in the fridge. I guess I left it too long because it became an un-workable BRICK! LOL! So thank you for adding a time frame on just how long to leave it in! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them! My kiddo loves them and so do I :)

      Delete