Sunday, January 27, 2013

Fermented Ketchup

As I watched my son drink the ketchup from his little cup last night (we went out to Five Guys with my parents for burgers and fries), I realized I needed to find a ketchup recipe that didn't involve sugar and fast. Luckily, I have had Homemade Mommy's Fermented Ketchup on my radar. And since I got to bring home a half gallon of whey from my cheese making class yesterday (SCORE!) I had all the ingredients. I can't wait to try it in three days! **Updated - I tried it this morning and it's GOOD. Tastes like those fancy gourmet ketchups you spend $8 for at fancy gourmet shops. It's a bit stinky and I probably will use less garlic next time but I'm definitely making this again (and again).

Why yes that IS the card I made D for his birthday


Ingredients:

Three 7-oz jars of tomato paste, Bionature brand in glass jars to avoid BPA and it contains no citric acid - available at Whole Foods
1/3 cup raw honey
3 Tb raw apple cider vinegar
3 small garlic cloves, pressed
6 Tb sauerkraut juice (preferred) or whey (liquid whey from draining whole milk yogurt)
2 1/4 tsp finely sea salt (do not use iodized salt or kosher salt)
pinch cayenne pepper
Equipment needed: one quart mason jar

Directions:
  • Combine all ingredients in a bowl (if using a quart mason jar, you can save on dirty dishes by mixing this up directly in the jar). Stir well to combine
  • Ensure that the top of the ketchup is at least 1-inch below the top of the jar(s).
  • Using a clean cloth or paper towel, wipe the top of the jar above the ketchup clean.
  • Put lid on jar and leave at room temperature for 3 days; then transfer to the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment