Monday, March 4, 2013

Happy Monday

So one of my hens has 'vent gleet' which is a yeast infection of their cloaca. Lovely. Actually not really, not at all. So this morning I gave her a bath in the kitchen sink and applied yeast meds to her tushy. Not how I usually spend a Monday but that's ok. Something I found very interesting is that every single site I went to suggested feeding plain yogurt and adding ACV (apple cider vinegar) to the water. Now these are things that are relatively recently being suggested for people as well who have a variety of issues. I myself have felt much better since we started drinking kefir. To think I didn't even know what it was only a couple of years ago.

Chicken on the counter

So how was the weekend of no phone? Well, I lasted about 2 hours before I had to send Derek a grocery related text but other than that I did pretty well with keeping it on the counter, turned off. I was still on the computer at times (Pinterest for card making ideas mostly) but no Facebook, no blogs and no site surfing. I read, I made cards, we got things done. I slept 4 hours on Saturday night so no trip to the goat farm on Sunday (boo). No idea why I couldn't sleep but the eyes wouldn't close and the brain wouldn't shut off. This very rarely happens to me but man it sucks. J and D spent Saturday night in a 'tent' in the living room that D built. Maybe that's why I couldn't sleep ;)



The biggest news/excitement to come out of the weekend is that we're going to have to build a new bigger coop. Our current one isn't large enough to house 9 hens so a new one will have to be built. D and I spent a good portion of yesterday perusing chicken coop designs.  Now we start looking into costs and if it's cheaper to have someone else build it (someone who knows carpentry) or to have D build it himself. I personally lean towards someone else simply for the fact that I don't want to spend every weekend working on the coop. I'm selfish that way.

I leave you with words to live/eat by:

No comments:

Post a Comment