Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Gutting the closet. Again.

Over the past few days I have been pulling things out of my closet that hadn't been cut with my first overhaul. Things I'm now looking at with clearer vision and can see that I will never, ever, wear them again. Some are gifts that I kept out of guilt and some are items that used to look good on me back in the day when I had longer (redder) hair. Some I've kept hoping to fit into them again and some are tied to good memories. And some are cashmere. None of them suit me any more and none of them have been worn in the past year (or longer). It's time they found new homes.

My style seems to be ever evolving and while I have found it very frustrating in the past, I'm getting closer to coming to terms with my changeability. I never was a person who had a 'set' way of dressing. No pearls and twinsets. No biker boots and leather. Nothing that ever defined who I was or what group I was a part of. Life would be a lot easier and I'm positive I'd have spent a lot less money if I did have 'life uniform' to adhere to.

I currently spend most of my time in jeans. With a 3-year old this is not surprising. I have very recently discovered that wearing 'skinny' jeans makes me look thinner while baggy jeans make me look bigger. Huh. So out go the baggy jeans that looked so cute on the model and very mediocre on me. While I do spend my days in jeans, I like to look nice. A bit dressier. A nice top and some good jewelry. I can wear brighter colors now that my hair is going white so I am enjoying tops in turquoise, berry, magenta and orange. Colors I would have had to avoid like the plague when my hair was redder for fear of looking like a clown. Nice shoes too. I like nice shoes. No high heels but pretty flats. Chic boots. Am I forming a wardrobe? One that will see me through the next 5-10 years? I hope so. I really love the idea of a capsule wardrobe where I have a set amount of basic pieces that can mix and match. I just never figured to be my age and STILL figuring out how to dress myself well.

No comments:

Post a Comment