Saturday, February 2, 2013

January life changes check in

So I had some pretty big goals that I set myself at the beginning of this year. Things I wanted to accomplish. Not resolutions but life changes. Let's check in shall we and see how I'm doing so far.

(Is it bad that I had to go grab a cheat sheet list so that I would remember what they are? I think so.)

1) Work on having a capsule wardrobe, only wear things that make me feel good.
I am actually doing pretty well with this one. I'm still cutting things out, I donated those old sweat pants, I'm more conscious of how I look in my clothes. Still some work to do, I have a closet full of unworn shirts and they're unworn for a reason.

2) Keep exercising, start Pilates.
Does doing my Pilates dvd once this month count as starting it? I didn't think so. After a great 2 weeks of walking on the treadmill, I haven't made much effort to get back up on it. The stress that I created by trying to walk and then get us out of the house was not worth it to me. I need to find a time that I can walk - I think it's going to have to be when we don't have anywhere we have to be. And we have somewhere we have to be almost every day of the week. Hmm. This needs work.

3) Create a healthy home environment.
I've become very aware of everything we bring into our home and I'm continuing to educate myself along those lines. So much to learn. I feel good using the Method and Meyer brands of cleaners. I'm trying to reduce the amount of packaging that we get too. It's crazy.

4) Cook and eat only real food.
I knew when starting that this was going to be the easiest change I wanted to make. It's something I am absolutely passionate about and that always makes things easier doesn't it? Plus I was already well down this path anyways.

5) The Compact.
Ah yes, and this one I knew would be the absolute most difficult and so it has proven to be. My version was mostly to stop myself buying new clothes for me and J new toys. Unfortunately it didn't include the supplies for card making among other things. The old Amazon habit needs to be reigned in sharply. The upside is I haven't bought myself any new clothes and I kept myself to only buying J 3 new toys this month. Let's just say this change needs a lot of work.

6) Turning off technology.
And we were doing so well. Then J got a cold and to keep him quiet and mellow, we watched movies. Which led D and I to watching the same movies (don't judge, Pixar makes great films) that night on the couch with our dinners. Um, yeah, old habits are very hard to break. I'm having to wean myself and J back off the tv and movies. It's so easy to just turn on the tv to entertain him when I want to do something involved. This needs a lot of work. I'm not sure I realize on a day to day basis that my time with him is limited. School starts soon.

7) Finding time to do what I want to do.
I'm not sure any parent feels like they have much time to themselves. I just looked up my library account to find I have a fine on my current library book. It's not even that long a book. I've been reading a bit while J is sitting on the potty (ah potty training) but that's not exactly the same as sitting and relaxing while reading now is it? I also feel lucky to write in my journals. I also have all these lovely projects, including my first card commission (thank mom!) and now I need to find the time to do them. Time where I'm not being pulled in several different directions and no one needs me for anything. Or I just ignore those things and sit down at the table and just make things. I don't know - working on this one too.

9) Making memories.
So far the memories have been simple but sweet. January came and went in a blink. We had some really good days and I feel like I learned a lot about myself. J has grown in leaps and bounds and I'm discovering a new person in him. I need to learn to slow down and appreciate where I am right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment