Monday, February 4, 2013

Eggless semolina pasta

My kiddo is allergic to eggs. The irony with us keeping chickens is not lost on me.

I've been wanting to get back into making pasta. I love the taste and texture of fresh pasta, plus it's a LOT of fun to make. I had stopped putting in the effort when J arrived (lack of time of course and then most pasta recipes call for eggs). Knowing that I might need a strong incentive, I resisted adding pasta to the grocery list this past weekend. Since pasta was on the menu tonight, I had no choice but to jump back into the pasta game. Plus I'd bought some semolina flour last year and I actually have three Kitchen Aid pasta attachments so really I had no excuse.

Online I found an egg-free semolina pasta recipe and it worked out GREAT. Very, very pleased with it. This makes enough for 2-3 people.

The different sizes of pasta were due to the various distractions I had while making it


Ingredients:

1/2 cup semolina flour (med. or fine)
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 t salt
3 – 4 T water (I needed more, almost double)
1 t good olive oil olive oil

Directions:

  • In a food processor pulse the semolina, flour and salt. Gradually add water and oil, a spoonful at a time, until a nice pliable and very slightly wet dough is formed. The amount of water will vary depending on the flour, semolina and humidity. Leave the dough slightly wet as the semolina will absorb a little more water than ordinary flour will.
  • Place in a container and let rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. I left it for at least 7 hours. Roll out and cut by hand or use in a pasta machine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment