Saturday, December 22, 2012

Today I'm making beef bone broth. I've been reading how bone broths give us all sorts of lovely nutrients and while I'm sure this is true, we just love drinking a warm mug of broth. It's...wholesome and nourishing feeling. It's delicious and satisfies us.

I get soup and marrow bones from the ranch I get our grass-fed beef from and it makes an amazing broth.
Making broth is super simple and it's so much better than anything out of a box or can. I love being able to go out to the freezer and pull out a container of broth to use in a recipe.

I use all organic ingredients because that's important to me.

Beef marrow and soup bones (this last bag had about 2.5 lbs in it)
An onion, peeled and quartered
A few carrots, halved
A bunch of celery, quartered
A bunch of parsley
Bay leaf
Peppercorns
Peelings from organic potatoes (I can't feed these to the hens so I freeze them until I'm going to make soup)
Tablespoon apple cider vinegar (this apparently helps nutrients leach out of the bones, I have no proof but figure it doesn't hurt)

Throw it all in a stock pot and fill with cold water, bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer for 48 hours. Strain it to get all the stuff out. I do two strainings, one through a colander and one through a chinois. Taste the broth to see if it needs further reducing or salt. Don't add too much salt if you're reducing it since that will concentrate the salt too much. I store my broths in Reditainer freezer containers.
http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Freeze-Reditainer-Freezeable-Containers/dp/B007V2TNOE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356203661&sr=8-2&keywords=reditainer+freezer+containers

No comments:

Post a Comment