Wednesday, December 26, 2012

One more thing to work on in the New Year. Turning off the TV. I use it too often as my relaxation. I have it on when no one is watching. It plays in the background as I'm on the computer or J is playing. It's a crutch for when I want to do something and I want J to stay quietly in one place. We sit in front of it to eat and we turn it on after dinner. What we watch is mostly sports but we're watching sports we don't care about. Hello - the Little Caesars Bowl is on right now featuring two teams I have never  heard of. The EPL was on this morning and I only cared about one match of the three and I could have turned it off after Liverpool went down.

I need to just turn it off and go LIVE my life. I have things I want to do, books I want to read, crafts I want to learn, needlepoint to finish, a life to live. How much of my day is spent with the TV on? I'm sure I would be appalled to know.

Along those lines, I need to put down my damn phone. I feel like the stupid thing is attached to my hand and I'm constantly checking it for email and Facebook. This made sense when I was among the employed and had to but I'm pretty sure nothing will explode if I don't respond to an email or a Facebook post.

Also and this is big, really big. My kiddo will be in school very soon. Too soon. I spend my days in front of the computer or looking at my phone and I'm with him but not engaged. He plays with his toys, and it's great that he occupies himself so well but I'm just there. I'm not playing with him, or teaching him or encouraging him. In a few short years he will be in Kindergarten and gone most of the day. I need to make the most of this time while I have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment