Saturday, December 22, 2012

Next on my list is to eat healthful, nourishing foods and to work continuously and with determination on increasing the healthy factor. Continue to be aware and conscious of the food choices I make for myself and my family.

I've been doing a lot of reading and talking to people within the past month and it seems to me, and feels right, to move towards eating real food. The types of foods you make yourself and that don't have any additives, preservatives or ingredients you can't pronounce or or that you have to ask your scientist husband what they are. It just feels fundamentally right that foods like these would nourish our bodies and feed our souls better than something out of cardboard that has nothing that is actual food in it.

Part of my cleaning out/detoxing the kitchen this month was getting rid of all the foods that had things in them I could not duplicate myself. This left my cabinets pretty bare. Not Mother Hubbard bare, but bare nonetheless. Looking for something to sack on yesterday, I found...not much. Which actually was ok because I was bored snacking, not hungry snacking. At the time, I couldn't find anything. Today I think, I could have had fruit, yogurt, crackers and cheese, a glass of milk, some broth, a multitude of things, but yesterday my brain was still looking for something out of a box that was quick and easy. This is going to take some time. I'm glad I just got rid of everything, it's too easy for me to fall back into old habits.

My kiddo hasn't asked for any of the things I've gotten rid of and happily snacks on fresh and dried fruits, nuts and my homemade cheese crackers. I feel lucky that I made this switch sooner rather than later so he will grow up only remembering real food out of mom's kitchen.

I have a lot to work to do here, I've taken the first steps. I believe some of what I read about the benefits of certain things and I take the rest with a very large grain of salt. I've seen the benefits of some things (drinking kefir daily) but I don't believe it's the end all be all. I'm exploring.


No comments:

Post a Comment