Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sufferin' Succotash

I totally made this up. There are about as many different succotash recipes out there as there are people in the South and they all make them differently and they all swear their Mama's recipe is the best. I make no such claim but it was really tasty and easy. And no okra. I don't do okra (unless maybe it's deep fried, I'll eat almost anything deep fried).

Leftovers and yes I like my bacon crispy
(the bacon itself is actually quite dark, it's not burned I swear)


Served 2 adults and a little kid

Ingredients:

4 sliced thick cut bacon (I used the black forest bacon from Whole Foods)
1.5 cups frozen lima beans
1.5 cups corn
14 oz can peeled plum tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  • Slice bacon into 1/4 inch slices. Fry pieces in a large skillet (cast iron if you have it). Remove and keep the bacon fat left in the skillet. You can pour out the fat if you wish but it's flavor (as D says).
  • Defrost the lima beans and corn by boiling for a couple of minutes. Drain well. Add the beans, corn and tomatoes to the grease in the skillet. Cook over low heat for at least 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with the bacon pieces sprinkled over.

No comments:

Post a Comment